Friday, June 26, 2015

What a Beautiful Wedding Looks Like

This blog will be used as an outlet for my writing - soooo what better place to start than a piece published just today?! Thanks, Liz Furl for putting this up on Real Talk Magazine!


BRAUNphotography


What a Beautiful Wedding Looks Like

My friends’ interests in weddings have perpetuated conversations for years. Questions like, “Who will your bridesmaids be?” first surfaced (if I were to guess) as far back as elementary school. They’d describe their dresses, the cake, the bridal parties. Their dreams focused upon themselves – excepting the costly adornments that would undoubtedly make the day more glamorous.

As we’re getting older, such dialogue is (I suppose) more relevant, and thus monumentally more prevalent. The visions are no longer so distant – no longer are they fairytales sitting worlds away, but real events that people are living, breathing and planning.

While I’d normally chew my nails as my friends talked about their lacy sweetheart tops – never having much to say – I’m opening up here and now. I’m going to  unveil my wedding fantasy. It goes something like this:

My dress will be sleeveless, allowing my arms to be kissed by the summer sun. It will reach my knees in loose, sundress fashion, easily blown about by the seasonal breeze. I’ll wear a flower crown in place of a veil. My lips will be red.

My cake will be tall – like ten layers high. I’ve always preferred chocolate to vanilla, but I’m thinking vanilla is the safer choice. Spillage won’t soil my dress as notably and my teeth won’t look as if I’ve just blazed through a pack of Oreos. I see a vanilla masterpiece with whipped cream icing and cute flowers adorning the sides. Can you just picture it?

And the venue – oh, the venue! It’s going to be perfect – a rustic setting with strings of white lights, and mason jars on the tabletops. I can picture the father-daughter dance, an acoustic band strumming instruments in the corner.

Now that I think about it, I’ve also considered full-length dress coverage – of sleeves and skirt – thus shielding my flesh from winter cold. I can see myself wearing something puffy and white (actually, no I can’t) or tight and black. It will be paired with high heels or flip-flops or maybe bare feet. What I do know for sure about the dress – or pantsuit or duck costume or whatever – of my dreams? It will be the last thing I wear as a single woman, and the first thing I’ll kick off in front of my husband.

And for the dessert: maybe there won’t be a cake at all. Maybe I’ll serve pumpkin pie or apple crumble or cupcakes. Would it be wrong if we simply put Snickers and Butterfingers at every seat? Maybe we’ll put our entire budget toward Chipotle catering and skip dessert altogether. All I really care about is that I’m eating beside a man who appreciates my love for food.

And a destination wedding could be cool: gliding down a sandy aisle, a dream lined with palms. Or Vegas? Or the local justice of the peace? All things considered, the venue details are far from being worked out. Just so long as I’m walking toward a man with a true promise to love me forever, even when I ugly cry.

In truth, I’ve given very little thought to the day on which I’ll make a man my husband. I hope I’m happy and there’s a flowing supply of booze, but other than that, I have few specific expectations. What matters more to me, what’s more important than the decorations, the food and the attire – is that I have a loving partner standing beside me as I experience it all.


This post originally appeared on Real Talk Magazine.

No comments :

Post a Comment